Fresh artichokes are one of the stars of spring and are a special treat. The artichoke is one of the most intriguing vegetables out there featuring a beautiful armour-like exterior and a delicious and savoury-sweet heart. Upon researching this vegetable, we discovered that it is technically not a vegetable at all but the bud of a flowering plant from the thistle family.
They do look intimidating though which might cause you to leave them alone when seeing them at your local market. We are here to help you discover how easy and delicious these little morsels can be so that next time you see them they do not pass you by!
Artichokes are a versatile accompaniment to many dishes and can be steamed, grilled, roasted, or sautéed and because we are coming in to spring they will soon be in abundance!
Here is a tasty Steak and Artichoke recipe to try coming in to spring complete with a recipe for marinating your own artichoke hearts.
Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- 4 artichokes
- Combine lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic in a sealable plastic container.
- Seal the container and shake to emulsify the mixture.
- To prepare the artichokes – work with one artichoke at a time, trim the ends of the artichokes and remove the tough outer leaves. Slice the tips off the inner leaves and quarter the artichokes and remove the fuzzy choke, if any.
- Add the artichoke hearts to the marinade. Reseal the lid and continue shaking the container until the artichoke hearts are completely coated.
- The artichoke hearts can be used immediately or can be stored in the fridge for use over the next week or two.
Ribeye Steak w/ Sautéed New Season Artichokes
- 4 quartered artichoke hearts (marinated)
- 3 tablespoons artichoke marinade
- 4 good quality beef ribeye steaks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarsely chop artichokes and set aside.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in butter & oil over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°). Remove to a serving platter to rest.
- In same skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in the artichoke marinade for 3 minutes. The add artichokes and heat through.
- Serve with steaks and a simple salad.