All Foodies, young and old, love crispy fried chicken. This recipe adds a fragrant Asian sticky sauce with a little kick to add a little flare to an old favourite. For best results, be ready to serve and eat when the frying is done.
Garlic Powder 1 Tbsp
Onion Powder 1 Tbsp
Salt 1 Tbsp
Water 2 Tbsp
Potato Starch (for coating chicken) 4 Tbsp
Eggs (for coating chicken) 4
Oil for Frying
Garlic – Finely sliced 3 Tbsp
Chilli’s – Finely sliced 2 whole
Peanuts – Finely Sliced 3 Tbsp
Water 10 Tbsp
Brown Sugar 4 Tbsp
Rice Wine Vinegar 1 Tbsp
Rice Soy Sauce 1 Tbsp
Rice Potato Starch 1 Tbsp
Sesame Seeds 2 Tbsp
- Marinate chicken drumsticks, overnight or a few hours if you don’t have time, in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and water.
- Dredge the marinated drums in potato starch, then in the egg wash, and then once more in the potato starch.
- Fill a wok or heavy bottomed dish with oil and bring this up to temperature – around 180 degrees Celsius
- Add the chicken drumsticks to the oil and reduce temperature to medium – low.
- Deep fry for 15 – 20 minutes until the chicken is a lovely golden brown colour and cooked all the way through. To test if the chicken is done – cut into a piece and the juice inside should be clear.
- While the chicken is finishing cooking, make the sticky flavorful sauce in a saucepan by lightly frying off the finely sliced chilli and garlic in a little oil.
- Add to the saucepan the water, brown sugar, peanuts, rice wine vinegar, rice soy sauce, and rice potato starch.
- Simmer and reduce until it resembles the consistency of a sticky sauce.
- Pour over the cooked chicken drums or serve on the side as a super tasty condiment to go with it.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds and you have a dish with an Asian fusion twist.